Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dude, I suck at this

So the post about Road to Hana never happened. Lots of things don't happen lately. I really need to get better about so many things in my life but there never seems to be enough time. We got back from Maui, then it was time to get ready for New Jersey. We are having renters move into the townhome in a few weeks and I need to get my stuff out. Lots to do and not much time.

Before we were planning on leaving for New Jersey, I drove up to Ft. Collins to give our dog to my sister to watch while we were away. I was having stomach pains, but did not think much of it. As the night went on, it got worse. Then I got queasy but I managed to make it to a movie and get some rest that night. The next morning, I packed up my stuff and was headed back to Parker. I was queasy, hot, and having major stomach issues. This post might be a little graphic, but oh well, I am going to write what happened.

I drove back to Parker, and was not doing too well. I got back to the house and all I wanted to do was lay down. When I went to the bathroom, it was all black. I knew something was wrong. I did not feel right, and I still had to pack. Long story short, after talking to Nicole (hubby is a doctor) she said I should go to the doctor because if it is black it could be blood. I resist because it is going to cost money, and it was the first baseball game for the boys. Regardless, we went to urgent care which happens to be at my primary care doctor's office as well. As soon as we get there, she tells me she is going to do a rectal exam. Oh what fun. As soon as she finishes she tells me "Yep, all blood. You are not getting on a plane tomorrow." I sit there and sob because I can't go on the trip that has been planned for a long time, and I am not feeling well. I feel terrible emotionally and physically, and she tells me that it is an upper GI bleed. They take blood from my arm and from my finger. The blood count number from my finger is low, and she says to come back in two days to make sure my blood count is not so low that I would need a transfusion. She also gives me a medication for ulcers in case I have one. I felt like I got no answers. She was also waiting on more test results and said she would call me later that night.

We get back home and I am still not feeling well. I talk to Nicole's husband and he said wait for the results but if you don't hear back, go to the ER. We don't hear back so Bryan takes me to the ER. They give me fluids, take a CT scan of my stomach, check my blood levels and we basically get no answers. Here are some pictures from that night:

What I had to drink before the CT scan. I must say they have improved in this area. Last time I had to do this, it was chalky and gross. This was actually not too bad.

Reading the latest People magazine.

Since Bryan was leaving with the boys the next day, my sister came down and stayed with me.
We love our computers and internet so Denise was thrilled to learn there was wi-fi. She had her own little technology center set up in the corner.

 What they wrapped around my arm.
 Yep, that's me.
Eventually I was released with no real answers. Colitiis, a stomach bug, an ulcer? Who knew. It was frustrating. Two days after getting out, I went to New Jersey. So far, no symptoms have returned so we will see what happens.

The most shocking thing was the bill that followed. That little time in the ER was billed at $12,000. I had no idea fluids were that much money. I hope it included the CT scan. Even with insurance it was still a lot of money. I am starting to think my bad luck lately is because of this:


When we were in Hawaii, I took a black rock from the black sand beach which I come to find out later is bad karma. Whoops. Maybe I jinxed myself :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Parker, Colorado, United States
Taking it one day at a time while sharing the events of my ordinary and random life!