Sunday, November 8, 2009

15 Years and Counting

Once upon a time in a land called Ft. Collins, Colorado, I attended Colorado State University. As a freshman 15 years ago, I signed up for one of my PE credits: Bowling. Yes people. Bowling. I love bowling. LOVE it! I hate running and other possible PE credits so taking bowling was the best choice for me. Some people may see that as a cop out. I saw it as fabulous. If I remember correctly, being a freshman I had the mindset that since I started high school at 7:35 I would easily be able to make an 8 o'clock class that I just had to walk to. Bad idea. College is a whole new ballgame. An 8 o'clock class is never a good idea.  I believe I was in the 8 a.m. class. I knew no one, and felt somewhat uncomfortable. Although I am overly outgoing, something about getting up in front of strangers, bending over and throwing a ball for all to see was not comfortable for me. I have always been insecure about my body, and bowling really does not do wonders for the body image. Looking back, I was about 100 lbs then and self conscious about my bottom? Really? I should have been more worried about the flannel shirts I was wearing (give me credit: everyone else wore them too. Not sure what we were thinking, or how I got dates wearing them.)

In my bowling class I met Kathy. I think we were put on the same team and we instantly became friends. We laughed a ton, shared everything and formed a great friendship. 15 years later we are still friends. We are the kind of friends that can go months or even years without seeing each other or talking, yet we can always pick up where we left off. It is a great thing to have a friend like that.

We have a tendency to go to movies that are either completely empty or where it is empty until someone comes in and sits right in front of us despite the fact that there are tons of rows and seats available NOT in front of us. We also tend to see horrible movies together (not intentionally). We find laughter in the smallest things. I remember seeing Shrek with her and laughing so hard I cried.

In 1999, I moved to Florida to work at Disney World. Kathy was kind enough to drive with me to Florida. So many adventures and stories from that trip. Maybe someday they will come out. So much laughter my stomach hurt. I love those moments.

We played in the parks and I am not sure where these were taken but they still make me laugh to this day. I remember we went to Target in Orlando and had them developed (back in the stone age of film cameras). We opened them at the snack bar and laughed so hard at these pictures.



Serious astronauts. Love it!

Kathy got married 3.5 years ago to Jason. When I hear about someone but never meet them I refer to them as Snuffaluffagus because on Sesame Street people claimed Snuffy existed but no one saw him in person. I have called Jason Snuffaluffagus and really wanted to meet him. That day finally came last night when Bryan, Kathy, Snuffy and I met for dinner at Houston's. *Sidenote: I love Houston's and I am ridiculously happy one has come to Colorado and is not somewhere like Grand Junction.*

When Kathy walked in, I spotted her and Snuffy. He exists! So now, he is Jason. We had a great dinner, good talks and then off we went to the Bonnie Brae Ice Cream place. While there, I noticed the somewhat creepy looking bear. Being me, we had to get pictures.

I love how the bear is "looking" forward in the first picture, but soon things change...In the second picture, it looks as if he is totally checking out Kathy and I am clinching my teeth as if to say "This creepy bear is checking out my married friend." Please note, this bear does not move. That is why I think the difference between these two pictures is quite funny. 



Despite the creepy bear, it was a good night. It is fun to have other couple friends who share similar interests. It is also great to have a friendship of 15+ years. Love you Kath!








1 comment:

  1. Awww, you're so sweet! I love you!! And you know, that bear IS checking me out in the second photo.....it's even weirder because I'm SURE I didn't touch him, so how did he move?? Well anyway, here's to Dragonfly's, Badcock Furniture, Bowling, and even more beautiful pictures in our future!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Parker, Colorado, United States
Taking it one day at a time while sharing the events of my ordinary and random life!